Vince Muscat has refused to name the sitting minister who he claims was involved in a “big job” that took place a few years ago, Prime Minister Robert Abela said on Wednesday.
In comments to Times of Malta, Abela said he won’t act on the claims until the minister is identified.
Muscat., who has admitted his role in the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia, made the claim in court earlier this week. He did not name the minister.
Abela said he had immediately contacted Police Commissioner Angelo Gafa and asked him to establish who Muscat was referring to.
“I am informed that the witness kept insisting that he wouldn’t say any names,” told the newspaper. He indicated that he had not asked his Cabinet members if they were the ones Muscat was referring to, saying that, “when the witness reveals who he is referring to, I’ll be able to go through that exercise.”
He also questioned why PN MP Jason Azzopardi, who is representing the Caruana Galizia family, failed to ask Muscat to identify the minister when he was cross-examining him.
Asked what he would do if the minister was identified, Abela said he would not speak in “hypothetical terms.”
“When someone is mentioned, I will be able to set my position accordingly,” he said.
Vince Muscat has been jailed 15 years for his role in the journalist’s murder. He has also been pardoned over his role in the murder of lawyer Carmel Chircop in 2015.
He told the court this week about a 2015 plot to kill Daphne Caruana Galizia with an assault rifle. The plan did not materialise. He has linked former economy minister Chris Cardona to that plan.
He then said that Cardona and another sitting minister were also involved in another “big job.”