‘Police told me I am not under investigation in Daphne Caruana Galizia murder case’ – Joseph Muscat
police told me i am not under investigation in daphne caruana galizia murder case joseph muscat - 'Police told me I am not under investigation in Daphne Caruana Galizia murder case' - Joseph Muscat

Former Prime Minister Joseph Muscat told journalists on Friday that the police had told him on record that he is not under investigation in connection with the Daphne Caruana Galizia murder case.

Muscat was talking after emerging from the police headquarters, where he was questioned by police investigating the journalist’s assassination.

In a Facebook post, Muscat said he had answered questions related to a statement made by Yorgen Fenech which was related to the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia. According to the media, the Fenech gave the statement after his presidential pardon request had been turned down. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“Whilst I am not at liberty to give details, I can say that practically all points raised today were already in the public domain, and I have already denied them publicly. 

The police have confirmed to me that I am not under investigation in connection with this case. 

The Police are doing their duty, as they have always done when I was Prime Minister, when a major case was solved, unlike what happened under previous administrations. 

I have always done my duty and will continue to do so.

If the police require any more assistance with regard to this case, which was solved during my tenure as PM, or about any other case, I am willing to give it.”

In comments to journalists after the interrogation, Muscat said the police had told him on the record that he is not being investigated in connection with the case. 

He said he had answered all of the investigators’ questions.

Asked whether the police had told him why they called him in now when Fenech had made the statement in November, Muscat said that is a question that should be put to the police. “I made the point that journalists had asked me about the statement before the police did.”

Asked what he had to say for his former chief of staff Keith Schembri, who had allegedly passed on messages to Yorgen Fenech, Muscat again said he had answered all questions he was asked by the police. 

Asked if he is still in touch with Schemrbi, Muscat said, “I am in contact with everyone, but not in regular contact with anyone.”

Muscat was also asked why he resigned earlier this year. “I resigned because I shouldered what was mine and even what wasn’t. Under my watch, a major case was solved. I certainly did not resign because of allegations. I had also already announced that I would resign before the end of this term.”

In the public inquiry into the journalist’s murder on Friday itself, one of the Caruana Galizia family lawyers Jason Azzopardi claimed in a question to former Police Commissioner Lawrence Cutajar that Keith Schembri had passed on details about middleman Melvin Theuma’s pardon to Fenech via Whatsapp.

Muscat has in the past vehemently denied any claims tying him to the murder of the journalist.  His long-time Chief of Staff Keith Schembri has been mentioned more than once in the compilation of evidence against Fenech, and in his own testimony he was warned that he could still face criminal proceedings.

Back to: HomeBLOGMalta PropertyMalta Activities