Updated (2): 85-year-old man becomes third in a day to die with Covid-19 – death count up to 20
updated 2 85 year old man becomes third in a day to die with covid 19 death count up to 20 - Updated (2): 85-year-old man becomes third in a day to die with Covid-19 - death count up to 20

An 85-year-old man has become the third person in a day to die with Covid-19, with health authorities confirming his death on Saturday afternoon.

Authorities had already confirmed earler on Saturday that two women aged 72 and 86 respectively had died with Covid-19.

This means that a total of 20 people have now died while positive for the virus, and also means that more people have died since the start of what has been widely recognised as the second wave of the pandemic mid-way through July, than when the pandemic first hit between last March and May.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Health Ministry said that the man tested positive for Covid-19 on 12 September when he was brought into Mater Dei Hospital.  The man died in the hospital’s Infectious Diseases Unit earlier today.  Authorities said that he was suffering from other medical conditions.

The 72-year-old was taken to hospital on 11 August, and tested positive for Covid-19 the day after.  She was transferred to the Intensive Therapy Unit on 15 August, where she remained for treatment.

She passed away overnight, the ministry said.

The Ministry said that the 86-year-old tested positive for the virus on 8 September, and was taken to hospital for treatment in the Intensive Therapy Unit on 16 September.

She too passed away overnight, the ministry said.

It is the second time that two Covid-19 cases died in the same day – two also died on 29 May, but the first time that three have died in on the same day.

The Ministry sent its condolences to the families of the three victims, and appealed to the public to continue to follow the Health Department’s appeals, especially on hand hygiene, social distancing, and the usage of face-masks.

As per the health authority’s latest update and taking into consideration the news of the third death of the day, Malta now has 662 active cases of the virus.

Malta’s previous deaths from the virus are listed below:

Wednesday 8 April – Woman, 92, Gozo General Hospital

Thursday 9 April – Man, 79, Karin Grech Hospital

Saturday 11 April – Man, 84, Mater Dei Hospital

Saturday 25 April – Woman, 96, Mater Dei Hospital

Tuesday 5 May – Man, 81, Karin Grech Hospital

Wednesday 13 May – Man, 53, Mater Dei Hospital

Wednesday 27 May – Man, 97, Karin Grech Hospital

Friday 29 May – Man, 56, Mater Dei Hospital

Friday 29 May – Man, 68, Mater Dei Hospital

Friday 21 August – Man, 72, Mater Dei Hospital

Saturday 29 August – Woman, 86, Mater Dei Hospital

Sunday 30 August – Man, 86, Mater Dei Hospital

Tuesday 1 September – Man, 89, Mater Dei Hospital

Saturday 5 September – Man, 85, Mater Dei Hospital

Thursday 10 September – Man, 80, Mater Dei Hospital

Monday 14 September – Woman, 86, Mater Dei Hospital

Friday 18 September – Woman, 91, Mater Dei Hospital

Back to: HomeBLOGMalta PropertyMalta Activities