Updated (3): ‘Middleman’ in Daphne Caruana Galizia investigation given presidential pardon – PM
updated 3 middleman in daphne caruana galizia investigation given presidential pardon pm - Updated (3): ‘Middleman’ in Daphne Caruana Galizia investigation given presidential pardon - PM

The man suspected to be a middleman between the mastermind and the killers of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia has been given the presidential pardon he requested to share vital information about the murder.

This has been confirmed by the Prime Minister, Joseph Muscat, in Parliament on Monday. He said that the President of the Republic, George Vella, had accepted the recommendation suggested by the Prime Minister.

ADVERTISEMENT

A government statement read that the aim of this is for Theuma to be able to testify about what he knows about the journalist’s murder on 16 October, 2017, and other crimes Theuma might have been involved in.

The pardon, the statement read, is subject to a number of conditions that require complete cooperation from Theuma for the truth to come out. The pardon can be withdrawn if Theuma does not observe the conditions, in which case steps could be taken against Theuma even on the basis of the information he himself gives.

Before making his recommendation to the President, Muscat sought advice from the Attorney General and the Police Commissioner, the statement read.

The middleman is expected to testify immediately before Magistrate Neville Camilleri.

Last week the middleman, named as Melvin Theuma, had requested the presidential pardon which the Prime Minister pledged to recommend on condition that the evidence provided could be corroborated in a court of law.

Theuma, a taxi driver, was arrested on 14 November in connection with a money laudering case, the Prime Minister had said when confirming that he had signed a letter pledging to recommend the pardon.

He had then requested the presidential pardon in exchange of information related to the murder.

Daphne Caruana Galizia had been killed in a car bomb on 16 October 2017.

Three man are charged with her murder. The trial is still to begin.

Back to: HomeBLOGMalta PropertyMalta Activities