Monday, 1 March 2021, 11:57
Last update: about 1 hour ago
The alleged organiser of an illegal rave held on Friday night will be charged by police and by commercial authorities over the party, a police spokesperson told The Malta Independent on Monday afternoon.
This newsroom reported on Monday morning of how police were looking into two videos which were uploaded by two different users to Instagram in the form of a story – which is a post which disappears after 24 hours.
The videos, which can both be viewed below, show people piled into what seems to be an underground and dilapidated venue while loud dance music plays inside. No modicum of social distancing is evident and neither is the use of face-masks.[embedded content]
A police spokesperson told The Malta Independent that the police was informed that the party was ongoing in the early hours of Saturday, and that the “large number of attendees” dispersed as soon as they saw the police arriving at the venue.
The spokesperson also confirmed information reported earlier in the day by this newsroom that the party took place at the White Rocks complex. Pictures of the exact venue were snapped by this newsroom earlier on Monday.
“The alleged organiser was identified onsite and will be charged accordingly for organizing a mass event during the Covid-19 Pandemic and also for holding a commercial activity without a license from the regulatory authority”, the police told this newsroom.
Malta is currently going through yet another record spike of Covid-19 cases – a record number of 263 cases were reported on Sunday after a number of days where over 200 cases.
Social distancing laws have been in place for months which limit public gatherings to six people. Mass events have been banned since summer, after cases spiked following a cluster emerging from a weekend-long party in July.