Yorgen Fenech back in police custody; questioning resumes
yorgen fenech back in police custody questioning resumes - Yorgen Fenech back in police custody; questioning resumes

Yorgen Fenech is again in police custody, the police said in a statement, adding that the police have resumed questioning him as part of their investigation into the assassination of Daphne Caruana Galizia.

Businessman and 17 Black owner Yorgen Fenech was taken to hospital with chest pains yesterday, and had been granted police bail because police interrogation was unable to continue up until now.

In a statement yesterday, the police said that while investigations into the assassination of Daphne Caruana Galizia continued, Fenech complained of pain and requested to be given medical assistance when he was being interrogated. He was then taken to Mater Dei Hospital.


In a statement today, the police said that while Fenech was on police bail due to him being unable to be interrogated for the last 24-hours, he was under strict police security. Granting police bail after the 24-hour recommendation was given by doctors is normal procedure, the police said.

It is the third time that Yorgen Fenech is under arrest since last Wednesday, when he was caught on a yacht just off the coast of Pembroke just after leaving from Portomaso.

He was brought back to shore by the Armed Forces of Malta and handed over to the police.

On Thursday evening, some 40 hours after his arrest, Fenech was released on police bail on Thursday evening, but on Friday, after accompanying the police on a search on board his yacht named Gio, he was arrested for the second time.

On Saturday afternoon, the police said that Fenech was complaining of an ailment and he was taken to hospital. The interrogation was suspended on medical grounds, and he was once again put on police bail. Hospital authorities instructed the police not to interrogate Fenech for at least 24 hours. Now that the 24 hours have elapsed, Fenech was arrested for a third time and is now again in police custody.

Police now have another 48 years during which they must decide whether to arraign Fenech, set him free or release him again on police bail. A police bail decision is valid for three months.

Back to: HomeBLOGMalta PropertyMalta Activities